Coming Home (A Justice-Involved Permanent Supportive Housing Program)
RHD, in partnership with Alliance Health, has collaborated with the Durham County Housing Authority, the Durham Local Reentry Council, and the Durham Criminal Justice Resource Center to create the Coming Home Program. Coming Home is a permanent supportive housing program for consumers who have behavioral health and/or mental health barriers, are involved with the justice system and homeless and/or unsheltered. RHD assists program participants in finding their own living space and signing their own lease for permanent long-term housing. The goal of the program is for RHD to provide intensive case management services and assist consumers in obtaining stable, long-term, independent housing and thereby accomplish three objectives.
- Ensure a successful transition back into the community after release from Jail
- Significantly reduce recidivism
- Reduce costs for the local community and stakeholders
Following The Housing First Model, the Coming Home Program has produced excellent results in just its first year, even in the midst of a global pandemic. (July 2019-June 2020)
- 100% of participants were engaged in both mental health services and primary care services.
- 70% of program participants were employed as of March 2020.
- 80% of consumers housed over 6 months ago have maintained permanent housing.
- Reduction in Arrests:
- 85: Total arrests in 60 months prior to program entry for all participants.
- 03: Total arrests after admission to the program for all participants.
Coming Home Focuses on:
- Linkage with local health care providers such as mental health, medical, dental, and vision.
- Addressing current needs as well as preventative measures and anticipating future service needs.
- Linkage with employment and other vocational resources.
- Linkage with substance use resources.
- Focus on increasing independence and activities of daily living.
- Choice in where program participants live.
- Assistance working with local landlords and/or Durham Housing Authority.
- Assistance completing housing applications and obtaining all entitlements/benefits.
- Transportation education and support to navigate Durham County.
Donate to this programDonate to this Program
Program Start Year
- Rodney Daniel, Program Manager
- Palestine Small, Case Manager
- phone 919-755-1335